Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, we're talking about quilting and other good stuff. I'm glad you stopped by ... look around, add a comment, become a follower if you feel inclined, tell your friends about me, and come back soon!


Friday, March 9, 2018

I think I can, I think I can...

One day last week I was using my dry iron and it went bzzztt!! and a little spark shot out of the cord.  Ouch!

I bought that iron just two years ago (I posted about it here), I have no idea about the warranty and I didn't want to get into mailing it anywhere,
so I figured I could just get the cord replaced at a small appliance repair shop.

Did you know that's almost impossible?  I sure didn't!

I was looking online for another one, then yesterday (with it being International Women's Day and all) I decided before spending another $30 for a new one, why not try and fix it myself, shoot!  I figured hey -  it's already broken, how much more damage can I do?


Checked YouTube and it didn't look hard at all, so I took the iron to Lowe's to get a replacement cord.

They didn't have what I needed so, long story short, the clerk explained how I could use the same cord if I just cut off the bad part.  He was nice enough cut it off and strip the wires for me.

I think I can, I think I can!

I grabbed my dollar store screwdriver set to remove the little cover plate but I couldn't get a good enough grip to turn the screw ... Took the iron to my neighborhood Ace Hardware, they helped me find a screwdriver that worked.

I was doing okay til I got inside and saw these little mysterious things attached to the ends of the wires.  Went back to Ace (thank goodness it's only 5 blocks away), discovered they're called "terminal rings" and picked up a pack.

By now this was getting old but - I think I can, I think I can!
The inside, before I took anything apart.



New terminals attached and screwed back in place.


Long story kinda short, I was able to repair the cord on my iron for just over $10!  Had fun along the way when one of the small screws fell inside the iron and I couldn't get it out.  One of the terminal rings wouldn't stay crimped on and I had to do it again - twice!  The other one came loose after I had already screwed it onto the terminal thingy.

BUT - I think I can, I think I can!




Hey, I think I DID!!!

My dry iron is revamped and ready to go - I checked and it actually heats up!

Yes!!



On a quilty note, I pieced blocks 20 and 21 from the Year of Scrappy Triangles sew along, two cute ones.

Block 20 reminded me of a bumble bee so I used yellow and black.  Wish the little wing bit on the right side had been turned around though.


In block 21 I was inspired by a piece of deer fabric that I found in my scrap bag.  Don't ask me why I didn't use a piece that actually has their heads attached - oh deer!  I'll replace it.

The dark green and dark blue were picked up from the colors in the deer fabric, but I didn't realize they would mush together so much.  When looking at it in real life the colors stand out better than in the photo.

Well, today I go with my friend Eloise to see Black Panther at the movies, I'm really looking forward to seeing it!  This will be the second time for her, so it must be as good as everybody is saying.

Have a great Friday, sew forth and sew on til later.

4 comments:

  1. (Pardon my language) Oh Hot F***ing S**t! YOU GO GIRL! I am SO FREAKING IMPRESSED!!! Go YOU! DAMMIT!!!! I am IMPRESSED! WOW! I would NEVER have thought of that. In fact, since irons usually die at the worst possible moment, when I find one I like I buy TWO, and the when the first one dies I go out an buy another. But DAMN! You are GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! And not only did you fix the iron, but you acquired new skills, too! Double win!
    Looking at your deer, I think they're hiding. Or at least trying to hide. Like ostriches, right?
    Enjoy Black Panther. I've heard it's absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back to the age when , if you wanted something done, you did it yourself. A big pat on the back for keeping on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! For you. I’m impressed. I wouldn’t even have thought to try that kind of repair myself. I’d just give it to my husband who delights in taking things apart.... good job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment, I like getting feedback! I can't promise to respond by email, but I do appreciate your visit.